"BOSTON VIA" sign comes down
Pete from Boston
2012-05-17 00:31:03 UTC
Several signs around Sullivan Square on 93 South have been replaced in
the past few months, ostensibly as part of the ongoing minor upgrades
associated with the Assembly Square redevelopment plan.

One was the sign for Sullivan Square topped with a "BOSTON VIA" tab.
I recall reading years ago that this tab first came about when I-93's
double-deck structure remained unfinished in the 1970s and southbound
traffic needed to exit to reach downtown.

While it's true that the last segment of I-93 came late and slow, I
don't know if there's any truth to this now-historical sign's origin,
or if the story is apocryphal. Anyone know?
Nil
2012-05-18 07:06:17 UTC
Post by Pete from Boston
While it's true that the last segment of I-93 came late and slow,
I don't know if there's any truth to this now-historical sign's
origin, or if the story is apocryphal. Anyone know?
I don't know, but that reminds me of a sign I noticed about a year
after I moved to Boston in 1978. It was in Kenmore Square, and pointed
up Commonwealth Ave toward downtown. It simply said "Tobin Bridge",
with a big arrow pointing straight ahead. One day, having some time to
kill, I followed the sign. Turns out there were no other signs - any
trusting soul who actually needed to get to the Tobin Bridge would have
found themselves at the Boston Public Garden with no clue where to go
next.
Paul Anderson
2012-05-21 00:46:53 UTC
Post by Nil
I don't know, but that reminds me of a sign I noticed about a year
after I moved to Boston in 1978. It was in Kenmore Square, and pointed
up Commonwealth Ave toward downtown. It simply said "Tobin Bridge",
with a big arrow pointing straight ahead. One day, having some time to
kill, I followed the sign. Turns out there were no other signs - any
trusting soul who actually needed to get to the Tobin Bridge would have
found themselves at the Boston Public Garden with no clue where to go
next.
Does anyone actually need to go "to" the Tobin Bridge?

Paul
anthonyx26
2012-11-19 03:09:35 UTC
As a note for posterity on this issue, additional vintage "Boston Via" signs were taken down and replaced about this same time (roughly May 2012) just below the Tobin Bridge itself in Chelsea, directing drivers to the onramp to the bridge.
cabinboy
2012-05-18 17:12:16 UTC
Post by Pete from Boston
Several signs around Sullivan Square on 93 South have been replaced in
the past few months, ostensibly as part of the ongoing minor upgrades
associated with the Assembly Square redevelopment plan.
One was the sign for Sullivan Square topped with a "BOSTON VIA" tab.
I recall reading years ago that this tab first came about when I-93's
double-deck structure remained unfinished in the 1970s and southbound
traffic needed to exit to reach downtown.
While it's true that the last segment of I-93 came late and slow, I
don't know if there's any truth to this now-historical sign's origin,
or if the story is apocryphal.  Anyone know?
ALL the signs on 93 are being replaced.

For the first time exit 37C has Anderson RTC right on all the signs
for the exit. That should have been done from the start!
Pete from Boston
Interestingly, the incorrect "38 South" signs -- the ones already south of 38's southern end -- were replaced as part of this project, with new equally incorrect signs. Score one for good money after bad...
John F. Carr
2013-03-14 18:45:16 UTC
Post by Pete from Boston
Interestingly, the incorrect "38 South" signs -- the ones already south
of 38's southern end -- were replaced as part of this project, with new
equally incorrect signs. Score one for good money after bad...
Why use your own brain when you can assume the guy before you used his?

In the 1990s Wellesley entered every sign into a GIS database
and the database was defined to be the correct state of all
signs in town. Some of the signs in the database were illegal
speed limit signs MassHighway had ordered removed. They're
still up (last time I looked) because work crews have to do
what the database says.
John Carr (***@mit.edu)
Jimmy
2013-03-22 18:38:27 UTC
Post by cabinboy
Post by Pete from Boston
[...]
Where are these signs? It would make the most sense for 38 to be
signed all the way down to Sullivan, to connect with 99.

Another nearby sign issue: It's been, what, 10 years since the Tobin
south -> 93 north ramp was permanently removed. How long is this sign
going to remain?
http://goo.gl/maps/I4kG4

As well as this detour sign, which must have gone up during a Big Dig
transition when the Tobin -> 93 south ramp was closed:
http://goo.gl/maps/dF9KB

Jimmy