MA excise tax questions
Jimmy
2012-05-15 23:50:47 UTC
If I get a 2011 model-year car in the middle of 2012, when do I get
the first excise tax bill? It looks like tax is assessed based on car
ownership on January 1st. Does that mean I won't get a bill until
early in 2013? Will the first bill be based on 40% of the car's value
when new, since 2013 is the car's third year?

If I also get rid of my old car, can I get a pro-rated refund of the
2012 tax for the remaining months of the year? That would mean I
wouldn't pay any tax for the second half of 2012, even though I owned
a car the whole time.

Jimmy
Jimmy
2012-05-15 23:56:14 UTC
Post by Jimmy
If I get a 2011 model-year car in the middle of 2012, when do I get
the first excise tax bill?  It looks like tax is assessed based on car
ownership on January 1st.  Does that mean I won't get a bill until
early in 2013?  Will the first bill be based on 40% of the car's value
when new, since 2013 is the car's third year?
If I also get rid of my old car, can I get a pro-rated refund of the
2012 tax for the remaining months of the year?  That would mean I
wouldn't pay any tax for the second half of 2012, even though I owned
a car the whole time.
Ok, http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cisexc/excidx.htm answers most of
the questions:

"If a motor vehicle is registered after the beginning of any calendar
year, no excise will be imposed for those months, if any, which have
fully elapsed before the vehicle is registered. If a vehicle is
registered for any part of a month, however, the excise will be due
for all of that month."

Jimmy